Sunday, August 26, 2007

Comcast van??

When I came home from Lifetime today, I was driving along, minding my own business, trying to figure out who would win if Bigfoot indian leg-wrestled the Loch Ness Monster (it's Bigfoot, by the way, as Nessie has small, girlish appendages). Then, I finally got home. The image above is what greeted me.

Now, I know most of you are thinking, "So what? What's the big deal, stupid? Boo-hoo-hoo someone parked in front of my house. Wah-wah. I'm a big baby and I don't know how to use the big boy toilet yet."
Now, first off, you're rather mean and crude. And I'm working on the toilet thing. I swear. The results just haven't been that positive. Just ask Alison. But that's neither here nor there. Seriously, just take a closer look at the above picture.

Notice anything strange? At all? Well, I'll tell you then Einstein. Look at the circled cones. Yes, there are cones set to the front and back of the Comcast van.
"What are these cones for?" you ask.
Well, I think it's quite obvious the cones are there to notify you that the van is there. But, don't you think if you can't see the van, you're probably not going to be able to see the cones around it? I mean, seriously, what's the point of this? Is it so I don't hit the van? "Crup! I almost hit that van! Didn't see it at all! Good thing they had those notifying cones there!"
This is ridiculous and makes me sad. But perhaps there's a new customer for the Flash Flare Pro. Who knew cable companies would need something like that??

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"What are these cones for?" you ask.

1. It's not just that a Comcast van is there, it's to warn you that it is a workspace - not just a parked van.

2. The driver has to pick them up and put them away before leaving - forcing them to see the front and back of the van and be sure there's no kids, animals, old people, etc there.

3. They will get in trouble for not putting them out.

Anonymous said...

looks like they did their job and beyond today.

Anonymous said...

next time you out driving look around.. all utility guys are required to cone their truck/van for safety. The idea is to get you to slow down and pay attention as you pass.

ban said...

Fair enough, though I've never, ever, ever, ever seen any other utility guy do it, so someone is breaking procedure...

Anonymous said...

Hey I'm a tech for Comcast, the story behind the cones is. The heads of the safety division of Comcast got wind of an story that a tech did this (referred to in Comcast as our "circle of safety") and in doing so avoid running over a child that was hiding under his van. STUPID KID!!! but oh well so now we are forced to do this or we get written up. its is also an osha law, that all utility should be doing. but who the hell really cares?

Unknown said...

I dont know but based on my phone conversation with a Cincy cable company, i'm pretty sure it is to make their service of less quality.

Bobby