Friday, January 20, 2006

It begins...

Well, apparently it's starting already. I didn't expect it to begin until at least six months from now, but the first article appeared today. What am I talking about? The first article insinuating (or flat out saying) that MArk McGwire doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame when he becomes eligible next year. The article I speak of appears on ESPN.com and is by Gene Wojciechowski. This prompted the following e-mail from me to Mr. Wojciechowski:

I bet a million bucks you'd hit zero homers, even if you had "better chemistry". Being ethical is a hazy line, and I see nothing ethically wrong with doing something that was not against the rules at the time it happened!! If we're going this route, why not take all the players who didn't wear a batting helmet out of the Hall of Fame? I mean, come on, it's a rule now, so that must mean that everyone at that time period should conform, even though there were no rules against it at the time. Seriously, get off your high horse. I think it's a good thing you don't have a HOF vote and I hope it stays that way...

God, I really do not see the point of these debates. Let's break it down right now:
  1. There has been no admission of any illegal activity
  2. IT WASN'T FIRKING ILLEGAL AT THE TIME IT WAS BEING DONE!!!!!

I think I've proved my point. Some other things we'll have to conside if Mr. Wojciechowski's line of reasoning permeates the people who have an actual vote (who I hope are not morons like Wojciechowski is)

  • Kevin Garnett will not be allowed to be in the NBA Hall of Fame: He came straight out of high school and was drafted when he was 18. Everyone know the rules say you have to be 19 to be drafted and play in the NBA. So, he broke the rules, hence, all his accomplishments don't count. What do you mean, it wasn't illegal at the time? That has no bearing on anything, right Mr. Wojciechowski?
  • Pete Incaviglia gets his single season NCAA homerun record taken away: He was using a bat that has been deemed illegal today, because the difference between the length and weight is too great. It doesn't matter that others at the same time were using the bat. It was their choice to use it and they knew it may be illegal in the future, jeopardizing all records they set when there were no rules against it. What do you mean they're not Nostradamus? They should just know if something might be considered wrong and illegal, right Mr. Wojciechowski?
  • Pete Maravich loses his NCAA career scoring record: You see, at that time, coaches were allowed to have the players practice as many hours as they wanted a week. Currently, the rules indicate that you can only practice so many hours a week. This made the players in the past that much better, hence allowing them to score more. So, since it's illegal now, we need to make sure the record books reflect that. What the hell are you talking about? The coaches made them practice? Doesn't matter! The kids can't do it today, so we need to remove those records from when it was allowed, right Mr. Wojciechowski?

As you can see, I could go on all day. But I won't. But soon, there will be a ton of these articles and I'm going to have to start my own website (www.youareadoucheifyoudonotvotemarkmcgwireintothehalloffame.com) to refute their claims. Either that, or my head will implode into itself and no one will ever hear from me again...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haven't anabolic steroids been illegal in this country for many years? If so, then MLB should not have been obligated to make a rule involving them. If he was using "illegal" steroids at the time, he was a cheater, a dumbass, and does not belong in the Hall.

However, if the stuff he was using was not deemed illegal by the USofA legal system, then let the man in.