Thursday, April 01, 2010

The Skateboard Lobby

Alright, so I'm trying to convince Alison to go see Hot Tub Time Machine with me and it's not going that well (even though I have free passes and am willing to take her to dinner at a place of her choosing, as long as she chooses the Timber Lodge).

But the concept of the movie brings me back to a story that has always been a little strange to me.

When I was about 10, I saw Back to the Future II. In the movie, Marty McFly has a hoverboard instead of a skateboard, which I thought was the coolest thing in the world. And then...there was a rumor floating around (where does an 10 year old hear a rumor? I have no idea) that the technology for hoverboards already existed! The problem was the Skateboard Lobby in Washington D.C. was so powerful, it made sure there were laws out there that wouldn't allow the hoverboard manufacturers to produce their product, because they knew the second hoverboards came out, skateboards would be obsolete.

At the time, that completely made sense. So, I kept waiting...and waiting...and waiting for the Hoverboard Lobby to overtake the Skateboard Lobby and produce some sweet, sweet hoverboards.

Alas, it's 2010 now and I still don't have a hoverboard. So, one of two things is happening:

1) The Skateboard Lobby in Washington D.C. really is that strong and has a stranglehold on the moving board products or
2) In 1989, they really did not have hoverboard technology and that rumor I heard was false.

I think we all know what is really true.

GIVE US OUR HOVERBOARDS YOU STUPID SKATEBOARD LOBBY!!!!

No comments: