Saturday, July 23, 2005

Adventures...

This morning at 8 am, I was casually strolling around Gays Pond, as I am known to do on the weekends. I walked past the two lesbians sitting on the Rainbow Swing and didn't bat an eye, since they were the traditional "Real Life" lesbians and not the Internet Lesbians that we have all come to know and love.

I made my turn around the pond and headed for Velociraptor Hill, to do my dinosaur walk and then go home. As I started up the summit of the Hill, I noticed a man standing at the top, next to a bicycle. He was decked out in his best hippie gear, inluding (but not limited to) a tye-died shirt, cut off pants, nappy hair that hadn't seen a comb or water for weeks and an overpowering stench that reminded me of the time I was in Hell and Satan pinched off a loaf.

I headed toward the man and he raised his right hand towards me. There was something in it. Did I know this guy? Had I offended him when I broke up one of his "Hippie Drum Circles"? Was he going to treat me like Shadow's cell mate treated him? Should I turn around and head the other way, like Christian Guzman does with a ground ball? So many questions...but I forged ahead up the mighty Hill.

As I got closer, I noticed what was in his hand. It was a can of Miller Lite! At 8 am! And he had a brown sack next to it, probably containing the other 5 brothers of the brew in his hand, because all hippies carry their drinks Norris-style.

I continued getting closer and his hand was still raised in the air, as if he had the answer to a question in second grade and Mrs. Sorenson wouldn't call on him. Then, he moved his hand and the can towards his head and it appeared he was saluting me, like he would have done if General Dwight D. flippin' Eisenhower was there!

I quickly looked around to see if he could possibly be saluting someone else, possibly Middle Aged Man or his friend Drinking Buddy had appeared. Alas, there was no one else on the Hill, so he was obviously making a connection with me.

As I walked by, I raised my coffee mug towards him and said, "At ease soldier."

He brought his can down, chugged what was left of his beer and continued on his merry way to the bliss that is total drunkennes.

Meanwhile, I continued on my journey, wondering what other adventures were waiting for me in the Oak Hill Park neighborhood. Only time will tell...

No comments: