Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Vikings I

Now that it’s official, I guess I’ve come to grips with it. Initially I thought trading Randy Moss was like a doctor deciding to amputate your arm because you broke your leg. It just didn’t make any sense. It was almost like the locker scene in Road Trip; there just to be there, without helping anything.

But I’ve started to like it more with each passing day. We got the number 7 pick, which can turn into a starting wide out, a 5th rounder and Napoleon Harris, who has been adequate and has potential (though I have to quote the famous Jimmy Lee here, in that there should be an age limit on potential). Maybe Napoleon just needs a change of scenery so he can flourish. And it’s not like he’s bringing great expectations with him. They’re plugging him in on a defense that would be hard pressed to stifle a USC drive, much less a Packers drive. He should feel comfortable in his new role.

I do still like Moss though and hope this turns out well for him. Maybe he will be the Ryan Atwood to the Raiders Cohen family. I hope so. Plus, we already know Al Davis is going to be the Caleb of the Cohens and there is a chance Moss will punch him in the face. I just hope there are cameras around and soft, soothing music in the back ground. But perhaps I’ve said too much…

Here are the moves I think the Vikings need to make through the draft to have a chance to move into the upper echelon of the NFC…

  • I am firmly entrenched in the Fred Smoot bandwagon. This is a Deion Sanders-esque player. Sure, he may go for the ball a little too often and may not be physical enough, but he’s young, fast and knows how to play the position. If they lock him up with Winfield on the other side and Chavous in the secondary, all of the sudden, our crappy defense starts to look a bit better. Add that to the fact that we’ll now have three fast, athletic linebackers and we’re starting to go somewhere.
  • If the Cowboys deal falls through, the Vikings need to get on the ball and sign Jason Ferguson. Having a NT like him can help free up Kevin Williams and open some more gaps for Thomas, Harris and Henderson.
  • I would look into adding Idrees Bashir to the secondary to add a bit of depth. Because, let’s face it, the depth of the Vikings secondary is like the Rio Grande…non existent. They could probably grab someone out of the Rio Grande and have him start before Corey Ross should have. (Sorry to steal your thunder Mr. Tice)
  • Unfortunately, there is no team to trade down with for the 7th pick. I think it’s too early to take Williams but it has to be done. A huge coup would be if Edwards and Williams are both there. This is possible, though I see Edwards going to the Titans at number 6. Both of those guys impressed at the combine. Edwards did the bench when it wasn’t required and Williams decided to run when he didn’t need to. Shows they put in the extra effort and the confidence they have.
  • Shaun Cody? If he’s still there, they need to snap him up at 17. Especially if the Ferguson deal falls through.

There you go Tice. If you need to get a hold of me, my office is always open.

No comments: