Tuesday, January 08, 2008

American Gladiators...

So, I'm sure you all are watching the new American Gladiators on NBC, so I won't go on about how awesome it is. Though I do wonder if you need to go to some sort of academy to be a ref on it. I mean, you have to ask both the contender and the Gladiator if they're ready, before you blow your whistle.

But that's not why I'm writing. What I wanted to write about is how they come up with their names. I mean, there are all sorts of tough names; from Zap to Titan to Justice to Wolf.

So, I'm watching the Gauntlet, and they're introducing the Gladiators.

First, it's Venom (nice...like a snake...deadly)
Second, it's Stealth (sweet...undetectable...drops bombs...great)
Third, it's Siren (fantastic...like the police are coming...well played)
Finally, it's Helga (you know...like a 1920's Scandinavian milk maid)

Helga? HELGA? Really...that's the name you came up with for your fierce character? What, were Joni and Kara already taken?
It's like back in 1980's WWF, when the good guys would never wrestle the other good guys, so you always go something like this:

"And now, entering the ring. The one, the only.,..HULK HOGAN!!! And his opponent, already in the ring, the very capable Kenny..."

Lame...

No comments: