Friday, January 21, 2005

Football Thoughts I...

Here are my thoughts from last weekend’s games and this weekend’s match-ups…

NFC

Vikings – Eagles
: I totally had the Vikes beating the Eagles. Maybe not outright, but at least covering the spread. But they were toasted. It all comes down to coaching. I'm sorry, but the Vikes offense should be unstoppable. They have Moss, Culpepper, and Moore (who should get more PT, but that's another point) and an above-average line. So, what's the problem? Moss leaves the field during a fake field goal. Was it Randy’s fault? Maybe. Coaching problem? Definitely. They're talking about trading Moss up here. Stupidest thing I've ever heard. Make a decent draft on D, and get a better coach. NFC title game awaits. Until they get rid of Tice and put someone in there who doesn’t sound like he just got beat in the head by a 2x4 when he talks, they aren’t going to be able to win. It’s that simple. That being said, the Eagles looked pretty rusty, but Freddie Mitchell looked like an All-Pro vs. the Vikings secondary. If I could be on MTV’s “Made” and I wanted to be made into an All-Pro receiver, all they would have to do is match me up one on one will Brian Williams and I would be made. It’s that simple.

Rams – Falcons: The Rams suck. Falcons don't. So that game was easy to call. Is there a worse big game coach than Mike Martz? Isn’t e about the most cocky SOB you’ve ever heard talk? I can’t deal with him. He’s lived off the Dick Vermeil hype for way too long and I think it’s about time he gets put out to pasture. That being said, the Mike Vick show is in full-effect and I’m hopping on the bus to make sure I get front row seats.

Eagles – Falcons: NFC Championship? Donovan McNabb is to Jim Kelly as Andy Reid is to Marv Levy. The Eagles are not going to take it. Which Vick will show up? If the real Mike Vick plays, the Eagles will lose. If not, the Eagles will win. I bet the real one shows and it's his game to lose. As I’ve mentioned, I have firmly planted my ass on the Mike Vick bandwagon and the next stop is the Super Bowl. I feel bad for Donovan McNabb though. He seems like a good guy. I also feel bad for his mom. She’s going to have to sell a ton of Chunky soup to make everyone in Philly feel better. Falcons 28 - Eagles 17

AFC

Jets – Steelers
: I feel bad for Doug Brien. He's like Scott Norwood, except if Scott Norwood had a second chance, and blew it worse than the first one. Seriously, how many bodyguards is he going to have to hire just to go to the grocery store in NYC? 6? It doesn’t get much worse than that. Happy for Big Ben though. If Brien had made that second kick, I think there are some Pittsburgh fans who would have strung him up. I couldn’t believe the lineman called out Ben. Granted he didn’t have a great game, but way to up his confidence. He needs to not make mistakes. Short passes, hand the ball to the backs and no wild throws. I expect better this week.

Pats – Colts: Pats dominated the Colts. That was insane. I can't bet on Peyton Manning in the playoffs again. Is he the new Dan Marino? I don’t think so, but he may be the next Elway. Remember how Elway had trouble winning for so long, until he got Davis in the backfield and Shannahan on the sidelines. I don’t want to blame the coaching, but is Dungy right for Indy? I think I could do just as good of a job as he does. He’s like the conductor for an orchestra…strictly there for show. But remember, Peyton couldn't win the big one in college either. And this wasn't even the big one. The first year he’s gone, Tennessee won the National Championship. Is there a Ewing Theory starting here? How bad would he choke if he ever gets to the Super Bowl? That would be insane. Pats are damn good though. I was thoroughly impressed with Troy Brown. He's pretty much unbelievable. He had more interceptions this year than the MN safeties combined. Not that that is saying much, but still.

Pats – Steelers: Pats are going to take down the Steelers. Healthy Corey Dillon, Big Ben jitters, the history of choking away homefield advantage in Pittsburgh. Not good times to be a Steeler fan. Jets got lucky against San Diego and lost the next week. Steelers got lucky against Jets and they'll lose the next week. Sometimes karma is a bitch and this week, the Steeler wagon is going down hard to the new NFL dynasty, New England Patriots! Pats 20 - Steelers 10

No comments: